So, now other work with complex children begins. How do we support development?
This summer I reflected on a key question, "Are we giving messages of capability?" This is particularly important question when we work with children and youth who struggle. Once we have learned that a child/youth struggles with something, we often get stuck at "What next?" We may wonder:
- Is this a skill beyond this student's actual ability?
- Are my expectations too high?
- Will this be too discouraging, and cause more problems?
- We need to be part of the fuel to help youngsters keep moving to learn the skills they need to learn.
- We need to remember that our own successes were built upon our struggles, learning from mistakes, being compassionate with others once we learned that we, too, could mess up.
And in the next post ... what are key messages we can say to young people during their struggles.